Shakespeare is brilliant.





I was first introduced formally to Shakespearean plays in grade eight, and I distinctly remember my English teacher opening with; 
"Shakespeare is brilliant."
I was told how he had a knack for brilliant English. Honestly, I was so lost and I could hardly understand how this means of English was considered brilliant.
I later learned the poetry of Shakespearean language. How, it was poetic, but not nearly as close as Arabic’s poetic license. Shakespeareans’ plays lines in any single play have exactly 10 syllables in each sentence. Allowing for a rhyme that one cannot even hear, but that one can feel.
I have noticed that the topics that Shakespeare touches on and had lived through holds great parallel to conflicts and worldwide issues that are current.

This is an extract from the Merchants of Venice;
"To bait fish withal: if it will feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge. He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million; laughed at my losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains, cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge. If a Christian wrong a Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge. The villainy you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction." -Shylock

If we were to ponder the situation Apartheid South Africa has left us in today and how well suited this quote is to the idea of differential races. It is trivaling brilliance how clearly this concept can be adapted to modern day existential crisii. Shakespeare was ‘woke’ enough to be able to think of such modern occurrence at a stage when there were only rising monarchs. It all makes sense as to why his novels are set books.
I recently read a poem by Tapiwa Mugabe entitled Man & You Are Oceanic. In the poem he says, ‘Was I not made from a woman’s mouth?’ – which speaks of Shylock’s monologue again. Shylock’s understanding, like Mugabe suggests that there is no such inferiority. Between races, religions or genders, an understanding that every human alive should comprehend from a Shakespearean novel.  

 
"Fair is foul, and foul is fair." is an extract from the first scene of the first act of Macbeth, spoken by evil witches in an attempt to reverse the moral roles of Macbeth.
The extract concentrates on the idea of 'Good VS Evil' and is one of the most prominent problems of the 21st century.
Fair is an understanding of things that are good and correct and foul are what we would consider to be evil and wrong. Thus, fair is foul and foul is fair suggests that what you think is good will actually be evil and what you think is evil will actually be good. And furthermore, the assured presence of both good and bad. These days, it is just too easy to be confused and unsure of what is right and wrong.
We often experience such examples in the way we live and the way in which we follow the rulings of Islam.
However, one who advocates for justice with conviction, bearing the thought processes of Shakespearean concepts could very well be a good person.

If you look close enough and if you start any Shakespearean play with the intention of trying to understand the meaning behind Shakespear’s words, chances are there will be rewards to reap. Simply because when it does eventually make sense to you, it's not only incredibly impactful, but it will come at a time when you need it the most. At which stage, it will be a onus upon you to be as courageous as possible. 

Add me on Facebook - Sauda Haffejee 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A short story.

10. The day that I hid in my cupboard

9. The Great Highlighter Tower.